Reading Fernwood ebooks
Please read these instructions before downloading your ebook.
All of our ebooks use Adobe DRM for protection. All this means is that you’ll need to download Adobe Digital Editions and create an Adobe ID before opening your ebook. It only takes a few minutes.
If you don’t already have Adobe Digital Editions and an Adobe ID, download it for free here.
We recommend creating an Adobe ID no matter where you want to read your ebook. You need an Adobe ID to read your ebook on multiple devices and to retrieve it from your Fernwood customer account in the event of a computer crash.
For more detailed instructions on how to read your ebook on your device, see below.
If you would like to download multiple copies of the same ebook, please do so in separate transactions.
IMPORTANT: Our ebooks are NOT returnable. Please be sure of your choice before making the purchase.
If you have any technical issues, please email us at email@example.com.
To Read on a Mac or PC
- If you don’t already have it installed, download and install Adobe Digital Editons 4.5.11.. (PC users can also use a compatible third-party application such as Bluefire Reader for Windows)
- Download your ebook .acsm file from your order confirmation screen (hyperlinked text that reads “Download”). Please note that an .acsm file is NOT a PDF file. It will be much smaller than a PDF file, and will not open with Adobe Acrobat or similar PDF readers. The main difference between the ePub and PDF ebook is that the PDF ebook has page numbers, while ePub does not.
- Open the file in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). When you open the book in ADE, you will be prompted to login to your existing Adobe ID (this is the same as your Adobe Account) or create an Adobe ID/Account.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure that you have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions 4.5.11 before attempting to open your downloaded ebook .acsm file.
- If you are not prompted to login or create a new account when you attempt to open your book, go to “Help” and “Authorize Computer.” From there, you can login or click “Create an Adobe ID”, where you will be directed to Adobe.com. Do NOT select “I want to Authorize my computer without an ID.”
- You may need to drop and drag the .acsm file directly into your open Adobe Digital Editions Library.
- You should now be able to open and read your epub or PDF ebook in Adobe Digital Editions. Please consult the “Getting Started with Adobe Digital Editions” ebook, which automatically appears in your ADE library, to learn more about how to use your ebook.
To Read on iPhone or iPad
- Install the Bluefire Reader app or Adobe Digital Editions app on your iOS device.
- Download your ebook file from your order confirmation screen and open it in Bluefire Reader or Adobe Digital Editions. (You must be viewing the order confirmation page on your device for this to work.)
To Read on a Kobo or Nook
- If you don’t already have it installed, download and install Adobe Digital Editons.
- Launch Adobe Digital Editions and create an Adobe ID, or login with your existing Adobe ID.
- Plug your device into your computer. If you haven’t sideloaded this device with Adobe Digital Editions before, the program will ask you to authorize the device with your Adobe ID.
- Authorize your device. It will now appear as a device on the left, and you can drag and drop any books from your library onto your device.
- Eject the device.
To Read on an Android Device
- You need Adobe Digital Editions app for Android on your Android device to read your ebook.
- Download your ebook file for your order confirmation screen and open it in your preferred application. (You must be viewing the order confirmations page on your device for this to work.)